Growing up is a talent
And not everyone has it!
Growing old is automatic
Hence, no efforts required for it!
You know that you have grown up when:
- You take responsibility for whatever your life is – no blaming anyone or playing the victim role. Don’t blame the rain or the sun. No one owes you anything.
- You don’t offer excuses for what you are or what you aren’t – If you are being something that you feel you need to offer an explanation for, then perhaps you need to re-consider what you are being.
- You think beyond fears- not getting into relationships to get out of loneliness, not doing things for the fear of rejection, or for the fear of the future.
- You look back at the past as learning. Not a regret. No matter how bad your past was, it got you here as a better person, and still alive. There’s a lot to be grateful for.
- You stop being apologetic for being you – either you wake up early or you don’t but you aren’t apologetic about it. You do what you do wilfully and joyfully. People will find the need to advise you because you are constantly being apologetic for what you are. So you are giving them a reason to judge you. Don’t be something just to fit in somewhere. Know your truth! Be what you really want to be. Nothing less!
- You know what are you going to do to make a difference to yourself.
- Stop trying to prove yourself right or others wrong. There’s more to life than right and wrong. Being caught up in this battle, we miss important perspectives and relationships in life.
- Add value to life without feeling that you are the one that keeps the world or a house going. The world can and will exist with or without you. You are adding value now to make your life worth living. Not because you are doing anyone a favour or a sacrifice.
- Most importantly, stop expecting others to change. When we constantly expect others to change, we may be failing to recognise that it is a part of their journey to figure things out and learn. They won’t get there sooner or later than when they are ready for it. You can inspire, empower, and enable – but not with an agenda that they have to change. They may or may not, based on their timing in life.
- Be grateful for all that you have and functioning right now. Even if you had the same yesterday and all the days before that, still – the fact that you have it now – is a reason enough to be grateful for. The heart that beats, the brain that functions, the eyes that see, the mind that perceives, the organs that work, the oxygen that you breathe, the food that you eat – all this and a lot more to be grateful for. When you aren’t grateful for what you have, you’ll lose it before you know it! Gratefulness is the biggest strength that will help you in your tough times.